Friday, May 09, 2008

Back on the Blogwagon

So clearly my resolution to write in my blog everyday was a complete and miserable failure. But things got Cuh-razy over the past few months. I worked 2 jobs which equalled a (minimum) 70 hour work week. I broke my wrist, I got mugged, started a new Maude team at UCB, and I was overall just f--ing exhausted. So the blog took a backseat. But hopefully from now on it will be firmly ensconced in the passenger seat of my priority list.

So: A few month's ago I broke my wrist. I have broken a few bones in the past so I'm no stranger to the process involved : I once got punched in the face by a cab driver, getting my jaw broken in two places, requiring me to wear braces that were wired shut until my jaw healed. I also broke my right wrist years ago when I was stage managing at Irving Plaza, which effectively rendered me unable to work, and afterward my tendons atrophied and I couldn't move my fingers or wrist for 6 months. But this one took the cake, being possibly the most pathetic injury of ALL TIME.

Back in January I started a three month day job while still working at UCB full time in order to pay off debts. The day my job started also marked the first day I had an afternoon improv class with Anthony King. One of the exercises Anthony has the class do is to play Duck Duck Goose. In truth, I dreaded playing this game, since it took me right back to my gangly uncoordinated 9-year old self. And true to form, as I ran around the circle I (overenthusiastically) took a turn too hard, bounced off a wall and wiped out. And landed on my wrist. I knew things weren't good, but I convinced myself it was just a sprain, iced it down, borrowed a boxing wrap from Eli Newell in lieu of an ace bandage, and left for my first day of work at my new job. Then I went to UCB and bartended for 7 hours (one handed). Then I worked double shifts for three days in a row. Finally I went and go an X-ray and learned that I had broken two bones.

There is nothing like telling an ER doctor that you broke your wrist playing Duck Duck Goose. And then explaining that I am not a nursery school teacher (which was their assumption), but that I was playing with a bunch of twenty-somethings so that we coudl illustrate basic improv concepts.

I have since almost fully recovered, although I can't put a lot of weight on my wrist. This was the maybe the most exhausting period of my life, but I have survived to blog again. More to come!

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Helff said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Peter Helff said...

Sorry for the deleted comment; I should really edit these things before I post. So here's the reposted, edited version:

Wow. In retrospect, if there was the possibility of similar harm being done, maybe it was better that my own gangly pre-adolescent self was always The Cheese who stood Alone. (Maybe I should play Duck Duck Goose with my Basic Skills students, as it might knock a few out of commission for awhile).

Call me a sensationalist, but I wanna' hear more about the mugging!

Ands heres me own blog (also pathetically unkempt, but with the hopes that I'll contribute more on a regular basis now that another semester teaching immature adults is over):

http://akafrizz.blogspot.com/

Cheers.

Peter

4:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, wedding dresses, links of london, swarovski, hollister, pandora uk, moncler, doudoune moncler, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose, canada goose, pandora charms, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, moncler, replica watches, pandora jewelry, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora jewelry, moncler, moncler uk, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, moncler, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, ugg, canada goose jackets, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose, canada goose uk, ugg uk, moncler outlet

7:53 PM  
Blogger menna said...

شركة تعقيم في دبي
شركات التعقيم المعتمدة من بلدية دبي

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home