Thursday, March 30, 2006

Time Out

I have been sick more often then I have been well this winter, and have once again been beset by a cold/flu/fever/cough/sore throat thing that has kept me in bed for the last few days. I managed to get to work one night this week, but other than that I have been laying in bed half-watching European travel shows and Do It Yourself home design projects on cable TV.

This sheer volume of illness has overwhelmed me and finally led to non-stop weeping for pretty much all of yesterday afternoon. After a while I wasn't even aware of it anymore--it was just a neverending and consistent cascade of tears that accompanied me as I did the dishes, ate my soup, checked my email and half dozed on the couch. Once in a while, a sappy commercial or Animal Planet special would come on (watching a baby rhinocerous and baby elephant become best friends and then get seperated as they are settled into different wild life reserves is NOT a good idea when you are in this state, FYI) and then my emotions would catch up to the waterworks, but the rest of the time it was as if my body was on auto-pilot, liberating me from all of the pent up frustration that being unwell brings.

Today I feel somewhat better physically and much better psychically. Apparently languishing for an entire day is good for the soul.

That said, I begin acupuncture treatments next week. Needles! Scary. Reports to come.